Samara and Kalum were really looking forward to Christmas this year - were very helpful in getting presents wrapped, putting up decorations, making some holiday treats, etc. Samara loved her party at dance with a gift exchange, dancing with her classmates and even a visit from Santa. Kalum got to join is on some of the fun at her preschool class party, decorating cookies and singing songs (He thinks he is just one of the group when he's there!). Samara was thrilled to see everyone that came to hear her sing at her evening preschool program. The kids sang a few songs and she did much better this year than last. Definitely one of the taller kids in her class and she loved her sparkly sweater dress (except when it "bothered" her, a problem she has with much of her clothes now that touch her skin. I explained that clothes touch your skin and that's how it is). Kalum watched and looks forward to being on stage next year when he is four.
After the busy month of November, I realized that there was really no way I could keep going on with the schedule I was having to keep. Even with the excellent baby that Wesson is, without sending the kids to daycare, I just couldn't keep giving my best to work and home/family. It was after much deliberation, discussion and conversations with some trusted friends that I submitted my notice to resign from my position as Executive Director for Greater Omaha NARI. I gave a long notice to allow time to find and train my replacement and the search began right away. I feel very at peace with the decision and we have started doing interviews, but that didn't keep me from losing it and bursting into tears at the chapter Holiday Party when they announced it. I have really enjoyed my role the past four years, but know that during this phase of life for our family, it will be better for all of us if I can dedicate myself more fully to really being there when I'm home. Only one person can be the best mom to my kids and wife to my husband and I'm getting excited to focus more on both!
We got to enjoy time with so many of our favorite people over the holidays! Christmas Eve we went to church at Christ Community and Jeff's parents joined us. Christmas morning we spent the morning at home then headed to Pennell's. Saturday we celebrated Christmas at the Derby's and the whole family could be there-this gets more tricky each year it seems. We got to meet our newest niece, Elizabeth Ann, as Jeff's sister Laura and brother in law Nick were in from Grand Island. Sunday we taught Sunday school, had lunch with a group of friends from High School and college-always a fun reunion and then went to Karre's for Pennell extended family Christmas. Unfortunately Grandma and Grandpa Pennell couldn't make the trip this year due to a recent fall that Grandma took. We took some pics and posted to facebook to share some of the evening with them. For New Year's Eve we had two couples over and enjoyed some food and Apples to Apples playing while the kids played together. It was a fun night to round out a great year full of so many blessings!
Samara's Moments for the Month:
- I went upstairs to the bathroom one day because I heard giggling. Samara was using her spinning toothbrush on Kalum's belly button.
- Samara sat on Santa's lap at Great Grandma Derby's holiday party and at dance class. She said she wants a remote control kitty, barbie and light saber. She liked counting down each day with our countdown calendar tree. Excited for Christmas much?!
- She is really learning her letters and wanted to write tags on gifts this year. I have to spell things for her, but she is proud to spell things on paper. She makes up songs all the time and is trying to sound out words. She can count to 100 unassisted.
- Looking into the pantry closet for a snack, Kalum says, "I like front pooch." Me- "I have no idea what you're talking about Kalum." K-"I DO like front pooch with my lunch." Me-"Ok, front pooch? Show me what you are talking about and we'll see." Kalum points to the fruit punch flavored Capri Sun drink box. Me- "Oh! Fruit punch. Yes, we have that with lunch." :)
- After calling me a scallywag when I was chasing him to tickle him, he then said "I love you the most mom", as he went upstairs a moment later. Melt.my.heart.
- He is excited for Christmas, but doesn't grasp it as much as Samara still. He wouldn't go near Santa, let alone sit on his lap. He takes a little longer to warm up to new people than Samara does.
- On Christmas Eve he says he wants a Darth Vader costume -a little late for Santa to change his gifts I think. I guess we'll see what Santa brings!
- Two Month check-up: He got three shots in legs and one oral medicine. Mommy had to nurse him to calm him down afterwords. 14lb 8oz (96%), 24" (86%), Head circumference 40.8 cm (71%) - He's bulking up!
- 10 weeks - slept for a 9 hour stretch at night for the first time! (8:30PM-5:30AM)
He watches you walk by him when in his seat, sucks pacifier at bedtime, more and more talking, cooing and babbling a bit as long as not too loud in room (i.e. when older siblings in same room), starting to suck on his hands and thumb intentionally, six feedings per 24 hours usually-give one bottle before bedtime. Smiling a lot and almost laughing sometimes. Two dimples and brown eyes, we'll see if they stay that way. - He would let you hold him to sleep all day long. Still working the sweaty when crying trick in order to be held until he falls asleep. We usually swaddle him, pacifier and into bed when drowsy in your arms. Sometimes have to go back and put in pacifier or pat his chest and then he nods off.
- Just before Christmas he started sleeping from about 8PM to 2 or 3AM. A couple times has even gone all the way until 6AM! We tried out a test "stand" in the exersaucer with some blankets around his belly - he liked it.
- Then, at 12 weeks old - a Christmas gift to Mommy - he started sleeping 12 or 13 hours straight at night. He likes a couple rattle toys that we have, having people talk to him. He is on the verge of laughter - any day now. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment